census day 21 march 2021

The next national Census is due to take place on 21 March 2021, managed by the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

The Census is a once in a decade opportunity to determine the profile of our resident population. Many funding decisions are based on the data collected, so it is important to maximise opportunities to engage with residents, especially hard-to-reach groups, and to raise awareness to ensure a maximum return rate. 

This time, the Census is digital first, with 90% of households being sent a pack that includes an online access code for completion.  The remaining 10%, identified by ONS as likely to need them, will be sent a paper version.  Residents can request paper versions if they receive an online pack and are unable to use it. ONS has a range of support mechanisms in place to help complete the census such as questionnaires in a range of formats/languages, a network of field trained support staff, as well as contact centre support via phone, web chat, social media, text, etc.

Postcards are to be sent to all households in mid-February informing them the census is coming and, from 3 March, packs are to be sent asking people to take part and explaining how. A range of reminder campaigns will follow throughout April and field campaigns in May in areas of low completion.

For more information go to www.census.gov.uk

If you are a Twitter user, you can follow the Census coverage at @Census2021.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s