Report from meeting held on 09 Feb 2012
The Copers Cope Area Residents’ Association attended the working group on Thursday evening. The meeting was also attended by our local councillors, Bromley Council portfolio holders from Traffic, Renewal & Recreation, Beckenham Town Centre Manager, the Beckenham Civic Society, Central Beckenham Residents’ Association and West Beckenham Residents’ Association.
Bromley Council decided to reconvene the Beckenham Town Centre Working Group after the Town Centre bid to secure funds from the Mayor of London’s Outer London Fund was unsuccessful.
A further bid for funds may be put up by the Council later this year. The group highlighted the following improvements to Beckenham Town Centre to included in a further bid.
- Improvement of pedestrian experience at ‘natural’ crossing points (e.g. opposite Sainsbury’s, and at corner with Village Way).
- Review the positioning and pavement width at bus stop points.
- Could Town Centre have street markets, possibly in front of Public Toilets?
- Prioritise Beckenham heritage. Repair our town clocks. Creation of a heritage trail.
- Removal of unnecessary street furniture, minimising/upgrading signage, cleaning up of forecourts & car parks.
- Reduction of HGV usage of High Street.
- Review and propose solutions for traffic flow problems (e.g. Beckenham Junction/Albermarle Road).
- Enhancement of War Memorial area and approach to High Street.