In the month of June there has been 7 residential burglaries and 7 thefts from a vehicle. The majority of these crimes have been spread across the ward however 2 of the burglaries did take place in Bromley Road.
Please if you can take simple steps to help prevent these offences take place, lock all windows and doors of your house even if you leave for just a few minutes. If you have an alarm please use it. Lock your car and take any valuables with you.
In order to lower crime in the worse effective areas on the borough there has been pro active patrols by Police Officers. This has seen crime such as burglary and motor vehicle crime fall.
Beckenham town centre is looking to be accredited with a purple flag. If you are wondering what that is, the purple flag is a accreditation that recognises excellence in the management of town and city centres at night showing that the night time economy offers clean and safe enviroments, great bars and clubs, a variety of arts and cultural attractions, and excellent transport links.
The benefits of achieving the purple flag are:
Improved public image
Lower levels of crime and antisocial behaviour
Front Door Security: Doors should be solid timber, not hollow, a minimum of 44mm thick, supported by three 100mm ( 4” ) hinges. The frame to be of sound timber, securely bolted or screwed to the walls every 600mm ( 23” ) around the whole frame.
– Fit a good automatic deadlocking latch cylinder lock a third of the way down the door.
– Fit a British Standard 3621 mortise deadlock with boxed staple a third of the way up the door ( avoiding joints in the timber ).
– Strengthen the door frame with metal reinforcement. A “ London Bar “ on the lock side and a “ Birmingham Bar “ on the hinge side.
– Fit a letterbox cowl / basket to prevent fishing for keys or access to lock handles.
Back Doors: Fit a British Standard 3621 mortise sash lock halfway up the door ( avoiding joints in the timber ).
– Fit key operated bolts to top ( max height 1.5m ( 4’ 11” ) and bottom of the door.
– Reinforce any weak door panels with either sheet metal or 9mm plywood.
Double French Doors: Fit key operated bolts to the top and bottom of each door securing it to the frame.
– Fit hinge bolts or interlocking hinges to any outward opening door.